What is it
that really makes Telford special nowadays?
Take a look
at the facts below. You might be surprised!
If you have
anything else that could be added to the list, make sure you send it to us (at email@example.com or share in
the Telford 50 dedicated Facebook group)
- Telford is a happy
place to live in – Telford has been listed in the top ten happiest places to
live in the UK (Rightmove survey, 2014).
- The Ironbridge Gorge located in Telford is a UNESCO World
Heritage Site. It attracts approx. 1.3 million visitors a
- Telford is the fastest growing town in the West Midlands
with significant investment regeneration. The £41m investment in the town
centre Southwater has
given Telford a vibrant beating heart, with lots of opportunity for everyone to
- Telford has one of the best parks in the UK (Telford Town Park has been voted the UK’s
best park in 2015).
- Telford is in the top 10 most popular
exhibition venues in the UK.
- Telford & Wrekin has a population
of 170,200. The population is younger
than the national average and is predicted to grow at a faster rate than the
England population, to 196,900 by 2031.
- Telford attracts big foreign business investors,
creating many new jobs. There’s already been some major business achievements. There are 5,000
companies in Telford, employing 83,700 people.
- Telford has hundreds of voluntary and
community groups. Lots of people get
involved to help make the borough an even better place and this is supported by
the Pride in our Community
- Telford welcomes 4.4 million visitors a year
for business and leisure.
- Telford has a Council run solar farm that has
generated nearly £500,000 income, which has been
used to help protect and maintain the services provided by the Council.
is home to an Ice Rink
– one of only 57 in the UK.
- On a clear day, you
can see 17 counties from the Wrekin's 407m (1,335ft)
European Christmas Market attracted in the region 700,000
visitors (in 2016).
- Telford has 1007 km of road, 212 km of
cycle ways, 135 bridges, 80 underpasses, 16,000 signs, 60 pedestrian crossings,
1,100 bus shelters.